Thursday, December 25, 2014

Innocent query on Motorcycle Safety

Everyday in the morning, I must admit that I admire Dr M Watsa- and the unique queries he gets- innocent, yet so hilarious- and then today a dear friend Tony reminded me that I had just such a query waiting for me on my favorite topic- safety on motorcycles.
Here is it copied off a forum-

From a gent named AG-
"Hi guys, i have an issue and i need help with it.. My dad does not believe i need a good helmet like a Harley or something else... I have a vega modular helmet.... I usually tape the openings, with electrical tape, of that helmet because it gives me too much wind noise.... For long runs... Also at higher speeds the helmet tends to pull upwards... The aerodynamics is horrible.... So i usually tighten the strap quite a bit.... He says that there is no such thing as a good helmet... And that i should ride slowly if that the wind is concerned. I said that city helmets are fine for vega n all... But the for 800km runs i require something robust. He is not a biker nor has he ever ridden one.. He requires proof with the difference between this helmet and the good ones out there.... Can anyone help me out? I also want proper riding gear for long runs..."
And my reply-

"AG- I assume that your post is taken in all its seriousness_
Here is a good riot act on safety wear and why.
1. Wear gloves so that when you fall in a parking lot due to gravel, or due to someone spilling diesel in a petrol pump, you don't skin your palms- and then your nurse does not have to feed you at home, nor your other male nurse have to give you a bath till your skin grows.
These events are a speed of '0 kmph'
2. Riding pants and jackets have armour in the form or padding or inserts which are meant to deform on impact or abrasion/heat, therefore protecting your joints from serious injury. This also means that when you get hit from behind by an errant rider, your fall and skin- are both protected by your gear, your elbows, your rear, your knees and spine are in better shape- enabling you to walk away-
again note that the accidents mentioned here happened at 5kmph
3. Helmets protect your brain- period. Without it, you are nothing.
Good quality helmets are usually functional in the sense that they have good ventilation built into them, better quality visors for your vision, good quality D-rings or snap-fits for latches, cheek pads for firmer fit, and a good fit around the head.
This prevents or reduces to a great extent the issues you mentioned- wind noise and helmet riding up_
As regards buying better helmets- please tell your father that a Maruti 800 (may it RIP) and a S class do the same job- getting you there- wherever. The S will give you better safety features and its the same for helmets as well.
Nothing about safety here is about speed- while riding on the Kaas Plateau I was caught in a gust of wind that took me on a meeting with a rock- my helmet saved my life as many here will attest... my speed was 35kmph. The wind that causes your helmet to 'rise' is due to a) poor aerodynamics and b) poor fit.
You need to please find and wear 5-7 kinds of helmets, that fit your forehead snug, and literally fit tight on your cheeks- so tight that you should not be able to chew gum while wearing it (thats a bad idea in any case)- so that at speeds upto 130-145- your helmet stays on, firm and not a hazard to your life, and to those riding with you.
Good Helmets like the Nola N63 start at about 15/16K and run all the way upto the SHOEI-GT Air at $700, or the ARAI-RX-V or Corsair-V Limited Editions for about $900...
There are a few articles on safety I have written here, and are now on my blog...
http://therealslimkd.blogspot.in/
If you are really sincere about this, and wish that this be taken up on a personal note, feel free to let me know.
None of this is written with a pinch of humor.
None intended."

No comments:

Post a Comment